Official Pinewood Derby Rules
(Rules from BSA Pinewood Derby Kit)
Car Dimension Rules
1. The overall length of the car shall not exceed 7 inches.
2. The overall width of the car shall not exceed 2 ¾ inches.
3. The car must have 1 ¾” clearance between the wheels.
4. The car must have 3/8” clearance underneath the body so it does not rub on the
Derby Car Weight Rules
1. The car shall not exceed 5.0 ounces.
2. The official race scale that is used at car check-in shall be considered final.
Car Modifications Not Allowed
1. The official pine wood block must be used. The block may be shaped in any way that
2. Official BSA wheels must be used. The wheels may not be cut, drilled, beveled or
rounded. You may remove the seams and imperfections from the wheels.
3. The axles may be altered, polished and lubricated.
Other Pinewood Derby Race Rules
1. Once a car passes inspection and is entered into the race, only race committee
members can touch it.
2. If the car loses a wheel, or is otherwise damaged, the racer shall have 5 minutes to
3. Each car must pass inspection by the official inspection committee before it will be
allowed to compete.
4. The Inspection Committee has the responsibility to disqualify those cars that do not
meet these rules.